5/7/17 What Collocates with ‘Pain’? (Part 2)
Now, meaning unhappiness:
great, intense, terrible | emotional
Verbs + pain
cause (sb), give sb, inflict
- Through her drug addiction she had inflicted a lot of pain on the family.
feel, go through | get over
- It took him several years to get over the pain of losing his job.
ease | spare sb
- We hoped to spare her the pain of having to meet her attacker.
express | conceal
- He tried to conceal his pain from her.
bear, endure | be worth
- The government has to persuade the people that the economic reforms are worth the pain.