Gender Pay Gap
10/10/18 Gender Pay Gap
A gender pay gap is the difference between women’s and men’s earnings, expressed as a percentage of men’s earnings.
The gender pay gap is influenced by a number of factors, including:
- Discrimination and bias in hiring and pay decisions
- Women and men working in different industries and different jobs, with female-dominated industries and jobs attracting lower wages
- Women’s disproportionate share of unpaid caring and domestic work
- Lack of workplace flexibility to accommodate caring and other responsibilities, especially in senior roles
- Women’s greater time out of the workforce impacting career progression and opportunities.
The gender pay gap starts from the time women enter the workforce. The pay gap, together with time out of the workforce for caring reasons and women’s higher likelihood of part-time work, impacts on their lifetime economic security.