Terminology about Soccer (Part 3)
June 14, 2018
14/6/18 Terminology about Soccer (Part 3)
The Soccer Field (aka “the Pitch”)
- Center Circle – a circular marking with a 10-yard radius in the “center” of the field from which kickoffs are taken to start or restart the game. Purpose: Simply a reference line for the referee and defenders. Defenders must be as least 10 yards away from the ball prior to start or restart.
- Center Line – See Midfield line.
- Center Spot – The “center” of the center circle from which kickoffs are taken to start or restart the game.
- Corner Arc – an arc or quarter-circle with a radius of 1 yard located at each of the 4 corners of the soccer field. Purpose: Also, a reference line, the ball must be kicked from inside this arc on a corner kick.
- Corner Flag – the flag located at each of the 4 corners of the soccer field, inside the corner area.
- End Line – the boundary line extending from corner to corner along its width at each end.
- Goal Area – the rectangular area (20 x 6 yd. on a full-size 11v11 soccer field) marked within the penalty area (or inside the larger rectangle) and directly in front of goal. Purpose: Marks the area from which all goal kicks must be taken.
- Goal Box – same as Goal Area
- Goal Line – same as the End Line.
- Midfield Line – a line in the center that divides the field in half along its width and runs parallel to the goals. Purpose: Used for start and restart as well as for calling offside. A player cannot be offside on their half of the field. Also called the Center Line.
- Penalty Area – The larger rectangle (18 x 44 yd. on a full size 11v11 field) in front of the goal that includes the Goal Area. Purpose: Marks both where the goalkeeper is allowed to touch the ball with his hands AND the area where harsh fouls committed by the defending team result in penalty kicks.
- Penalty Arc – The arc at the top of the penalty area. Purpose: Designates how far back all players must be away from the ball while a penalty kick is being taken.
- Penalty Mark (or Spot) – the mark from which penalty kicks are taken. It is 12 yards from the goal line on a full size 11v11 field.
- Pitch – Another word for the field.
- Sideline – common word for the Touchline.
- Touchline – the line that runs along the length of each side of the field. Commonly called the sideline in other sports.