27/04/17 The Difference between Thankful and Grateful
Grateful is the normal word used to talk about people’s reactions to kindness, favours etc.
- I’m very grateful for all your help. (NOT
I’m very thankful…)
- She wasn’t a bit grateful to me for repairing her car.
Thankful is used especially to talk about people’s feelings of relief at having avoided a danger of some kind, or at having come through an unpleasant experience.
- I’m thankful that we got home before the storm started.
- We feel very thankful that she didn’t marry him after all.
- Well, I’m thankful that’s over.